The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Alimony

If I Choose Not To Deduct Alimony Payments, Can My Ex- Spouse Not Report The Income For That Year?

Yes. By mutual agreement one spouse can forego the deduction for alimony and the other spouse can receive the benefit of not being required to pay taxes on the alimony received.

If you need professional help with "Alimony" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.