The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Armed Forces Tax Information

I Was Injured And Hospitalized While Serving In The U.S. Armed Forces In A Combat Zone, Is Any Of My Military Pay Excluded From Gross Income?

Yes. Military pay received by enlisted personnel who are hospitalized as a result of injuries sustained while serving in a combat zone is excluded from gross income for the period of hospitalization, subject to the 2-year limitation provided below. Commissioned officers have a similar exclusion, limited to the maximum enlisted pay amount per month. These exclusions from gross income for hospitalized enlisted personnel and commissioned officers end 2 years after the date of termination of the combat zone.

If you need professional help with "Armed Forces Tax Information" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.