The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Bookkeeping & Write-up

Can I File My Federal Unemployment Tax Using Short Form 940-EZ?

You may use the Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment short Form 940-EZ if you did the following: paid unemployment contributions to only one state, all state unemployment contributions were paid by January 31st of the following year, and all the wages that are taxable for Federal Unemployment tax are also taxable for your state's unemployment tax. You cannot use 940-EZ if you owe FUTA tax only for household work in a private home or if you are a successor employer claiming a credit for state unemployment contributions paid by a prior employer.

If you need professional help with "Bookkeeping & Write-up" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.