The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Capital Gains & Losses

Selling Expenses On Sale Of Property

Selling expenses should be added to the cost amount and subtracted from the gross proceeds sales amount on IRS Schedule D. This will help insure that the gross proceeds figure agrees with the 1099 slip that the IRS will receive.

If you need professional help with "Capital Gains & Losses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.