The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Casualty Losses

If I Did Not File A Claim On A Casualty Loss I Incurred, Can I Still Claim A Deduction On My Tax Return?

If you are insured for the full loss you incurred, but you do not file a claim, you cannot claim a deduction on your tax return.

If you need professional help with "Casualty Losses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.