The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Child Care Expenses

Child Care Credit - Alternative Minimum Tax

Your child care credit like the other nonrefundable credits can be limited by your "Tentative" Minimum tax not your "Actual" Minimum tax. Both the Tentative and Actual Minimum tax amounts are reflected on IRS Form 6251. If you do not understand why your child care credit is being disallowed or limited, speak to your local CPA for an explanation.

If you need professional help with "Child Care Expenses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.