The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit - Carryover

If the Child Tax Credit is larger than your tax liability, the unused part of the Child Tax Credit can be refundable as an additional Child Tax Credit. The portion that is available for a refund depends on the number of children you have, your total earned income, and, sometimes, the amount of taxes you have paid over the year to Social Security and Medicare. Use Form 8812 to claim the Additional child Tax Credit.

If you need professional help with "Child Tax Credit" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.