The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Dividends

Do I Have To File Schedule D If My Only Capital Gains Are My Form 1099-Div Capital Gains?

If your only capital gains are your Form 1099-DIV box 2a, capital gain distributions, then Schedule D is not required to be filed. You will enter the 1099-DIV box 2a amount on IRS Form 1040 line 13.

If you need professional help with "Dividends" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.