The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Divorce & Marriage Issues

I Choose Not To Deduct Alimony Payments, Can My Ex- Spouse Not Report The Income?

Yes. By mutual agreement one spouse can forego the deduction for alimony and the other spouse can receive the benefit of not being required to pay taxes on the alimony received.

If you need professional help with "Divorce & Marriage Issues" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.