The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Divorce & Marriage Issues

I Have Been Living With My Spouse In A Common Law Marriage For The Past 3 Years . Do I File My Tax Return Using The Filing Status Of Joint Or Single ?

If at the end of the tax year you lived together in a common law marriage that is recognized by the law of the state where the marriage began or in which you live, you may file as married filing jointly or married filing separately.

If you need professional help with "Divorce & Marriage Issues" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.