The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Employee Business Expense

Commissions Earned, But Not Yet Paid

Generally, for cash basis taxpayers, Form 1099-Misc will be issued for the amount paid. Accrual basis entities will pay tax on commissions earned. Commissions earned are taxable in the year earned and credited to your account and subject to your drawing, regardless if you actually drew that amount out of the account or not.

If you need professional help with "Employee Business Expense" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.