The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Filing Status & Requirements

Married With Children - Did Not Live With My Spouse. Must I File Jointly

If you did not live with your spouse for the last 6 months of the current tax year and maintained a household for your dependent children, you may file as a "Head of household" filing status. Head of household filing status is better than married-filing separately or single. You should speak to your local CPA prior to filing your tax return.

If you need professional help with "Filing Status & Requirements" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.