The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Filing Status & Requirements

Unmarried With A Child - What Is My Filing Status?

If you are unmarried at the end of the year, you may be able to file as a head of household or widower if you pay for more than 50% of the household costs for the child or relative that lives with you. You may file as a widow(er) if you became a widow(er) in the 2 prior tax years, and in the current tax year you paid more than 50% of the household costs for you and the dependent child. The tax rates for widow(er) and head of household are more favorable than filing as a single.

If you need professional help with "Filing Status & Requirements" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.