The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Identity Theft

Contacting Agencies Other Than IRS

In addition to contacting the IRS, you should take additional steps with agencies outside the IRS: Report incidents of identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission at or the FTC Identity Theft hotline at 877-438-4338 or TTY 866-653-4261. File a report with the local police. Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit bureaus:Equifax –, 800-525-6285, Experian –, 888-397-3742, TransUnion –, 800-680-7289Br> •Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

If you need professional help with "Identity Theft" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.