The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Income Reporting from U.S. Possessions

U.S. Citizen Or Resident Alien - A Bona Fide Resident Of Puerto Rico

If you are a U.S. citizen or Resident Alien and also a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico during the entire tax year, you generally must file:,br> A Puerto Rican tax return reporting income from worldwide sources. If you report U.S. source income on your Puerto Rican tax return, you can claim a credit against your Puerto Rican tax, up to the amount allowable for income taxes paid to the United States. A U.S. tax return reporting income from worldwide sources, but Excluding Puerto Rican source income. If you are excluding Puerto Rican income on your U.S. tax return, you will not be allowed any deductions or credits that are directly or indirectly allocable to exempt income. If all your income is from Puerto Rican sources, you are not required to file a U.S. tax return.

If you need professional help with "Income Reporting from U.S. Possessions" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.