The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Innocent Spouse Relief

How Can I Claim Innocent Spouse Relief?

You must file Form 8857 to claim innocent spouse relief. This must be filed within two years from the date the IRS collection division advised you of a tax liability for the joint return filed by you and your former spouse.

If you need professional help with "Innocent Spouse Relief" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.