The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Investments & Financial Planning

How Is The Interest On Federal EE And I Bonds Taxed ?

The interest earned on your savings bonds is subject to federal income tax, which can be deferred until redemption, final maturity, or other taxable disposition, whichever occurs first. Savings bonds are subject to estate, inheritance, gift, or other excise taxes, whether federal or state. Special tax benefits are available to qualified owners of EE Bonds under the Education Savings Bond Program.

If you need professional help with "Investments & Financial Planning" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.