The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - IRAs - Traditional

IRA - Stock Trader Contribution

IRA and pension deductions are based on earnings. Earnings are subject to payroll taxes, specifically social security, also referred to as self-employment tax for sole proprietors. If you are not paying payroll taxes on your trading profits, you are not eligible for an IRA deduction or pension plan. However, you may qualify for a spousal IRA if you income falls within certain limits.

If you need professional help with "IRAs - Traditional" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.