The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Itemized/Standard Deduction

If I File Married Filing Separately, Can I Use The Standard Or Itemized Deduction Amounts?

If you are filing as married filing separately, both persons must file using either the standard or itemized deduction amounts. One spouse cannot use the standard deduction and the other use the itemized deduction amount.

If you need professional help with "Itemized/Standard Deduction" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.