The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Partnerships - Form 1065

Can I Use My Passive K-1 Loss To Offset My Interest Income

Generally not. Interest income is defined as portfolio income, not passive income. Portfolio income includes interest, dividends, and gains on the sale of investment property. Passive K-1 losses can only be used to offset other passive income, except when the $25,000 special loss allowance for persons with active participation in rental real estate entities can be utilized.

If you need professional help with "Partnerships - Form 1065" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.