The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Payroll Taxes

Form W-2 , Section 401(K) Amount

The amount of the elected non-taxable deferral is reported On Form W-2 in box 12. Enter the code of D and the section 401(k) amount. Do not include this amount in the W-2, box 1, Taxable wage amount.

If you need professional help with "Payroll Taxes" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.