The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Roth IRAs

Can I Use My Roth IRA To Pay For My Daughters College Costs?

There is currently no provision in the code which allows for distributions from any IRA to pay for college education without incurring severe tax ramifications. We recommend that you consider distributions from your IRA to pay for college costs as your last choice. Explore other options first.

If you need professional help with "Roth IRAs" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.