The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Roth IRAs

Can I Open A Roth IRA For My Minor Child ?

Yes, but only if your son or daughter has "earned income" (not investment income) which is reported on their tax return. The contribution is limited to the lesser of $5,500 or net earned income after deducting expenses related to the production of those earnings. A fast food employee, paper route, or other part-time jobs are examples of earned income sources.

If you need professional help with "Roth IRAs" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.