The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Social Security

Social Security - Is It Taxable?

Generally, if your provisional income is more than a base amount, the difference is taxable, Generally, Provisional income = total income plus half your social security received plus tax exempt interest minus certain adjustments. The base amount is $25,000 for filing status of single, head of household, widower and married filing separately. The base amount is $32,000 for filing status of married filing jointly.

If you need professional help with "Social Security" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.