The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Travel & Entertainment

Are There Deductible Commuting Expenses?

The IRS allows 2 exceptions. If you are on a business trip out of town you may deduct taxi fares and other transportation costs from your hotel to your first business call and all other transportation costs between business calls. Also the additional costs of transporting tools to work are deductible.

If you need professional help with "Travel & Entertainment" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.