Hiring a Tax Professional

How Do I Know My Tax Accountant Is Licensed ?

You can verify that your tax accountant is licensed by visiting the website All tax preparers must now be registered with the IRS and obtain a preparer tax identification number. When you meet with your accountant, you can ask him or her to show you a copy of his PTIN . Many states also require licensing. CPAs, Enrolled Agents, RTRPs ) registered tax return preparers) and Lawyers can all be licensed to prepare tax returns and all must have a PTIN to practice.

Note If you need professional help with "Hiring a Tax Professional" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.